Series #10: Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries: A Series Review (Spoilers ahead)

March 23, 2015

Hi Gang!
 How was everyones weekend? If you've been following me on twitter, you already know how I spent mine. Finishing up one of the 7 new mystery television programs new to Netflix. I'm going to review Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries for you today, so I do have to say that sadly there will be spoilers. If you haven't watched it yet, please do, even after being placed in such a "stifling" time for women, the amount of freedom over every little thing that Phryne possesses is astounding, and a great role model of opportunity for ladies of any era. Every woman is in charge of her own destiny, she just needs to have the gumption to go for what she wants, no matter how many people don't want you to, or are standing in your way.

Ahoy, Matey: SPOILERS AHEAD!!!


The honorable Phryne Fisher, has just come home from traveling the world and running from her family, and has decided that she was going to make Melbourne, Australia her home. She solves a crime, that has touched her nearby relatives, and her aunt Prudence who insists on her living a proper unmodern woman's life. After solving the murder, which has to do with an illegal abortion racket, she decides that her new goal, is to become a Lady Detective; the only one in Melbourne, because there aren't even female officers on the police force. 
   As you solve each case, you realize that Fisher is kind of home for souls who have lost there way. Dottie; the devout catholic, Jane: The re-formed Orphan thief and the constant reminder of her younger Sister, Janey, Cess and Burt: Cab-drivers and Muscle for Phryne. Mr. Butler: head of the house, Collins: Dottie's Protestant Lover and Jack Robinson: Detective Inspector and a love interest for Phryne.
  I have to just say that I absolutely loved this show, it gets four out of five stars for me! Now I'm gonna tell ya why!

- Phryne Fisher is the epitome of a Feminist. The show takes place in the 20's. Women can barely drive, and here she is being the only lady detective, and a voice to any disenfranchised person that needed her. Not only is the character the picture of a modern Woman with feminist ideologies, but so is nearly every person that is on her team or that she decides to keep ties to. She fights for women to be able to drive. She fights for disenfranchised orphans not to become wards of the state. She fights for contraception, and the right for women to be pro-choice and abortions. Rights for aboriginals, The right for women to wear whatever they want, be with whoever they want, hell, there was even an episode for gay rights. The show only had two seasons, 13 episodes and Phryne catered to proper ideologies, that most shows that run for years, don't, can't and won't do. Phryne isn't the only character that makes you feel powerful. The entire (reappearing) cast is likable, honest, and well-rounded. I can't think of a single character that I didn't like, that was in more than one episode.

-  The stories are three dimensional and continuity is spectacular. I can't choose a favorite episode, I liked them all. Every episode, had me on the edge of my seat. I generally knit while I watch murder mysteries. I love me some murder, Ellery Queen, Columbo, Sherlock, Murder She Wrote (which I'm watching now) and so forth and so on. But I couldn't focus on my knitting! There was so much going on that I was worried I would miss something!

- The costume design for this program as phenomenal. I personally want to bake Marion Boyce something absolutely marvelous! I wanted everything that graced the screen. There wasn't a single outfit that went by that didn't make me giddy as a school girl! Everything was so glamorous, Skirts, dresses, cloaks and shirts, shoes and hats! Every costume made me yearn for the ability to be a competent Seamstress. I swear, I screencapped every costume.

 I was a little disappointed that Phryne never got together with Jack, even after Dottie and Hugh got engaged, but I just realized that the series has been picked up for a third season, so I am positively buzzing with excitement for all of her new adventures. I highly recommend this to anyone who likes a great story, a great cast of characters, a sense of style even Blair Waldorf couldn't complain about. You can find series 1 + 2 on Netflix.

If you have seen this show, Please comment down below so we can chat about it! I would LOVE to talk to someone about my feels! As always, the conversation continues on twitter.

 Same Bat Time. Same Bat Channel,
 ~Gabriella!~

  The Noire Menagerie

Post a Comment

It makes me happy when you guys comment. Please do not hesitate to come say hi!!

Social

Latest Instagrams

Photo On Flickr

About Us

© Nerdette At Large. Design by FCD.