Series #17: Jessica Jones (Maybe Spoilers?!)

February 3, 2016

Hey Gang!

  Over the weekend I finally finished Jessica Jones!! The reason it took me so long can be broken down into two parts. Part one, the subject matter for Jessica Jones is really heavy. When I write reviews on the blog they are generally of a much fluffier topic. This was one of the first shows that I've watched with a super serious subject matter, anything that I can even begin to connect it to would be Criminal Minds and Pretty Little Liars and both of those are still pretty broad when you think about the positive strides that Jessica makes as a heroine and as a television program.




 Part Two would be that even though I needed to take breaks for self care during the heavy moments, I really didn't want it to end. There were only 13 episodes after all, and even though Daredevil didn't really do anything for me, I didn't want it to end. I was milking it for all it was worth.

 Here is a few things I absolutely loved about Jessica Jones. I absolutely loved the fact that she was a PI. Yes I know Marvel has a lot of private Investigators, but we know how I feel about solving mysteries. I loved the character development, even though there are only thirteen episodes, the pacing wasn't too fast or too slow, it was almost just right.

As someone who has been a victim of abuse it was refreshing to be represented as a human being and not only as a victim. It was beneficial not only for me but for people who have no understanding of the issues and effects of rape culture in a popular series. Jessica Jones is a real hero. A human being with extraordinary circumstances, but at the end of the day she still had human circumstances.

You saw PTSD, Hatred, the journey to become a better person, self-loathing, the journey for a victim to bging living and loving their life again, explored and expanded. One of the biggest things I loved about the writing for Jessica Jones there was very little victim blaming. One of the corner stones of rape culture is to blame the victim we've all seen this. She shouldn't have been alone, she should have been drinking, she shouldn't have been breathing, or whatever ridiculous thing they're coming up with now. I was so proud to see storytelling done right.

I really disliked Nuke/Simpson. Not only was he incredibly Mysoginistic to Jessica, Constantly talking down to her and ignoring all of her ideas, even though she was stronger than him, the fact that Jess was female and actually stronger than Simpson he was intimidated by her, and therefor felt the need to be condescending. He was a detriment to every mission he was a part of and was an integral part of destroying the evidence that would have saved Hope and allowed Jessica to be able to take Kilgrave down legally.

 I was really pleased with the ending. Even though they were superheroes they weren't deities, it wasn't up to them to decide who lived or died. At the end of the day she was only trying to get Justice for the victims of Kilgrave. After 12 episodes of failers, she realized they was only one option left. I am very excited to see where season 2 takes my favorites: Trish, Malcolm, Jess and Luke.

If you finished Jessica Jones, what did you think? Lets talk about how wounderful Jess is on Twitter!

Until Next Time,
Stay Nerdy!

Post a Comment

It makes me happy when you guys comment. Please do not hesitate to come say hi!!

Social

Latest Instagrams

Photo On Flickr

About Us

© Nerdette At Large. Design by FCD.